Gynecology is the branch of healthcare concerned with women’s reproductive health, and the medical doctors that specialize in this field are known as gynecologists.
Girls and women are encouraged to get regular checkups and discuss any health concerns with their doctors. The gynecology practitioners at Bergen Medical Associates are available for consultation on a wide range of issues regarding the female reproductive system. Patients can make an appointment at one of our 6 convenient locations in Northern New Jersey.
Learn more about Dr. Marsan
Under the guidance of Ena Marsan, DO, MPH, the gynecology team creates a safe space for women to discuss issues and receive needed care. Dr. Marsan is fluent in Spanish and welcomes women of all ages and backgrounds. Watch the video below to learn more and call today to make an appointment.
Request an Appointment With a Gynecologist at Bergen Medical Associates
*Appointment calls will be made during regular business hours Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM within 1 business day of receiving your request. Thank you.
Bergen Medical Associates offers medical services for women that help them maintain health and receive early preventive care. This routine care is provided with the utmost concern and confidentiality and includes:
- Annual exams
- Pap smears
- HPV screenings
- Cancer screenings
- Family planning
- Pelvic pain
- Sexual health
- Overall health
What Is Gynecology?
Concerned with female bodies and the female reproductive system, a gynecologist (GYN) cares for women and their health concerns. Through extensive training and experience, these medical doctors perform pelvic exams & cancer screenings; they provide consultations on contraception, pelvic pain, hormone replacement and vaginal concerns. They diagnose and treat conditions in the following bodily structures:
- Fallopian tubes
- Bladder and urinary tract
- Pelvic floor
Bergen Medical Associates offers a full complement of medical services concerned with routine gynecology examinations, diagnoses, and treatments. The team is passionate about providing the highest quality medical care for patients. Through compassionate listening, medical expertise, and up-to-date practices, women can obtain state-of-the-art medical care.
What Can a Gynecologist Diagnose?
By taking advantage of regular health screenings, women are better able to maintain their health and avoid illness. However, sometimes conditions, problems, and disorders are discovered in the process. Early diagnosis and treatment often result in a positive outcome. These are some of the more common diagnoses evaluated by the providers at Bergen Medical Associates:
- Endometriosis: A condition in which cells related to the uterine lining grow outside the uterus, causing infertility, pain during menstruation, and other problems
- Menstrual cycle disorders: Erratic or painful menstruation cycles
- Vaginal infection and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs): Imbalances between yeast and bacteria, or the presence of viruses that cause pain and, if not treated, may advance to become life-threatening
- Infertility: Inability to conceive children
- Ovarian cysts: Fluid filled sacs formed naturally by the ovaries which can erupt, causing pain and other problems
- Breast cancer: Cancerous cells and tumors grow in the breast tissue
- Ovarian cancer: The presence of cancerous cells and tumors in the ovaries
- Uterine cancer: Cancerous growths in the uterus
- Osteoporosis: A bone disease that involves weakening of the bones thereby increasing risk for fracture.
- Urinary tract and bladder infections: Painful infections due to imbalances in the urinary system
- Vaginal yeast infection: Itchy fungal infections that form in the vagina due to a variety of causes
- Uterine, vaginal, or bladder prolapse: When pelvic floor ligaments and muscles become too weak to support these structures properly
These are just a few of the conditions that affect women. Patients experiencing unusual symptoms or pain centered in the reproductive area can visit Bergen Medical Associates for help. If an examination shows the condition is not gynecological, the team will refer the patient to another of the medical specialties at Bergen Medical Associates, where well-qualified, experienced practitioners will assist.
When Should You See a Gynecologist?
Women and girls of any age can visit a gynecologist for healthcare. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists suggests that young women schedule their first gynecological exam between the ages of 13 and 15. It is important to become familiar with the practical aspects of pelvic exams, and female anatomy, so women can more comfortably discuss their reproductive and sexual health issues with a medical doctor. Not only does an early start to routine gynecological medical care potentially set women up for a lifetime of better health, but it is also important that they become familiar with the types of questions their doctors may ask. In addition, having a trusted adult with whom to share concerns can be crucial for physical and mental health.
Older women should keep up with yearly physical exams, as well. A gynecologist can help patients with post-natal, menopausal, and sexual function issues. Cancer screenings and other preventive care should continue at regular intervals throughout a woman’s life.
Bergen Medical Associates promotes education, wellness, and preventive care. Patients will find caring, professional medical teams available to listen to their concerns and treat the whole body. In addition to having several office locations across Northern New Jersey, the office also features expanded weekday hours and Saturday appointments. Women and girls benefit greatly from regular medical checkups with a gynecologist. For more information, contact us today.